Queen Victoria Hospital achieves top marks from patients in national survey
Monday 5th June 2017
The latest national NHS inpatient survey shows that the Queen Victoria Hospital (QVH) continues to achieve some of the best feedback from patients in the country.
The annual national survey of inpatients at all NHS hospital trusts in England covers all aspects of patients’ care and treatment. This year’s survey carried out by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) surveyed 77,850 people who received care at an NHS hospital in July 2016. The findings help the NHS to continually improve, enabling hospitals to see how they are doing year-on-year and how they compare with others.
Overall, QVH scored better than other trusts across all ten relevant sections of the survey.
QVH scored significantly better than other trusts for 49 of the 63 questions asked, and about the same as other trusts for the remaining 14.
Areas where QVH scored particularly highly were:
- Feeling safe during their hospital stay
- Privacy, respect and dignity
- Whether they felt they were well looked after by hospital staff
- Whether staff did all they could to control pain
- Staff providing a quiet environment at night
- Being involved in decisions around care and treatment, and having confidence about decisions made by staff
- Whether there was enough information given to family or friends about how to help care for them if needed
- Advice and information about what would happen after discharge including having medicines explained to them in a way they could understand (if applicable)
- Whether there were enough nurses on duty
- Opportunities to feed back.
Jo Thomas, Director of Nursing at QVH, said: “QVH is an excellent hospital and providing compassionate care for patients is at the heart of what we do. We are delighted to have again achieved the top scores for nursing care, particularly during an increasingly challenging time for the NHS. I’d like to thank our staff of their commitment and dedication and to our patients for this wonderful endorsement of what we do.
Between August 2016 and January 2017, a questionnaire was sent to 1,250 recent inpatients at each trust, 492 responses were received from patients at Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. You can read the full report here.