Nurse education and development
We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding care and experiences for all our patients and their families. To achieve this we need to ensure we have a highly skilled, experienced and caring nursing workforce.
The development of nursing is a key priority for Queen Victoria Hospital to help us attract and retain the best staff, and also to offer amazing opportunities for all our staff ranging from healthcare assistants (HCA) to senior nurses.
At QVH the nursing team consists of registered nurses and operating department practitioners (ODP), registered dental nurses and nurse associates, assistant practitioners and healthcare assistants.
QVH nursing aims and vision
- We put patients at the centre of everything we do
- We are committed to continually developing our nursing knowledge and skills
- We will continually improve our services for our patients
- We are proud to deliver safe quality care to our patients
- We treat patients, their family and friends and all our colleagues with respect and humanity
Why study with us?
QVH is a small, specialist hospital with an internationally recognised heritage in pioneering surgery that remains relevant today. The excellent care we deliver has been acknowledged in a recent CQC report which rated QVH as ‘good’ overall, with ‘outstanding’ care, and we have been rated in the top eight hospitals in the country in the National Inpatient Survey. We pride ourselves on our nursing teams who have a breadth of highly developed knowledge and experience in all aspects of burns, plastics, maxillofacial and corneoplastic surgery.
QVH provides an excellent learning environment which focuses on your personal and professional development. This is achieved through structured learning experiences and programmes tailored to your individual needs. We support pre and post registration training for nurses, ODPs, paramedics, nurse associates, assistant practitioner and healthcare assistants. We have a robust recruitment and preceptorship programme for our new to role and newly registered staff. You can watch a short film about our preceptorship programme here. There is a fantastic career pathway from HCA to registered nurse/ODP to support staff throughout their learning journey. For all our staff there is a huge variety of learning experiences which can be tailored to their individual development needs and roles requirements.
Our staff tell us
- QVH provides staff with access to well-resourced high quality training, giving them the time and support to practice new skills.
- QVH has a fascinating history and an amazing reputation. Trainee nurses want to be part of this hospital and continue to maintain its amazing credentials.
- Burns and plastics have a long heritage and exceptional reputation; you cannot get this level of expertise, knowledge and training elsewhere in the UK.
- QVH has a small, friendly, family feel shown through the learning and support for all staff.
Find out more about the nursing career pathways at QVH and how we learn in our nurse education brochure. It also introduces some of our inspirational staff who talk about their learning journey and the fantastic career opportunities we have.
Education at QVH
Nurse education and development
Get in touch
For more information call the practice education team on 01342 306604 or email email@example.com