QVH’s fully equipped and digitised radiology service sees over 25,000 patients each year from the local community as well as from within the hospital. Our radiologists have particular expertise in head, neck and musculoskeletal imaging.
Our services include:
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scanning
- CT (computer tomography) scanning
- ConeBeam CTscanner which local dentists can refer general dental patients to
- General and dental X-rays
- Specialised salivary gland service which includes stone removal and ductoplasty
- Musculoskeletal joint injection under ultrasound
- Barium examinations of the intestinal tract
- Video Fluoroscopy with a multi-disciplinary team of speech therapist, radiologist and radiographer
- Ultrasound scanning with colour Doppler (not maternity)
We are also an “Any Qualified Provider” (AQP) in Surrey,Sussex and Kent for the provision of non-obstetric ultrasound. This is a new provision to give GPs and patients more choice for their referral in relation to appointment times or locations, making it more convenient while reducing waiting times.
The radiology department operates Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, with on call cover for emergency referrals. We carry out some MRI scans using a visiting mobile unit, enabling us to have short waiting times.
GPs can refer patients directly to QVH for imaging tests, including CT and MRI (which has a wait of no more than 3-4 weeks). If for any reason we are unable to accommodate referrals, we are able to arrange for them to be carried out at neighbouring NHS trusts.
If you have any queries about the radiology service at QVH, please contact Sarah Solanki, Radiology Service Manager on 01342 414429 or the consultant radiologist, Dr Ian Francis on 01342 414432.
QVH hosts specialist histopathology (the microscopic examination of body tissue) services which are national referral centres for skin and head and neck examinations.
Microbiology services (the study of micro-organisms such as viruses and bacteria) are provided by the team at BSUH, headed by Marc Cubbon.
Mr Simon Harvey
Consultant Dental and Maxillofacial Radiologist
Mr Simon Harvey is a consultant and registered specialist in Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology. He completed specialist training at Guy’s and St Thomas’ and worked there as a consultant before moving to a job split between Queen Victoria Hospital and The Eastman Dental Hospital, London.
His subspecialty clinical interests are dentoalveolar cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) and salivary gland interventional radiology. He accepts referrals for salivary assessments, balloon ductoplasty and basket retrieval.
A passionate educator, Mr Harvey has been employed in education for over a decade. He lectures regularly to dental professionals and designed and runs the British Dental Association CBCT reporting Masterclass. He is published in several peer reviewed journals and has co-authored a best selling textbook on CBCT use in Endodontics, translated into 4 languages.
He is an examiner at The Royal College of Surgeons and sits on the committee of the education charity ‘Teeth Relief’. He has an interest in dentolegal disputes and holds a Masters degree in Medical Law and Ethics from the King’s College London School of Law. He sits on The DDU Dental Advisory Committee and acts as an independent expert witness.
- Harvey, S., Patel, S. Guidelines and template for reporting on CBCT scans. Br Dent J 228, 15–18 (2020).
- Harvey, S., Ball, F., Brown, J. et al. ‘Non-standard’ panoramic programmes and the unusual artefacts they produce. Br Dent J 223, 248–252 (2017).
- Patel, Harvey et al. Cone Beam Computed Tomography in Endodontics (book). Quintessence, 2016
- Harvey JJ, Harvey S. Tension pneumocephalus: the neurosurgical emergency equivalent of tension pneumothorax. BJR Case Rep 2016; 2: 20150127.
Contact email: email@example.com
Patient information leaflets
Radiology may use your images for teaching or research purposes, please inform the radiology department if you do not consent to this. Thank you.